Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Thing #10 Wikis


Here's what I posted on the calcurriculum wiki:

Idea #18 I think students would enjoy creating their own motivational-style posters. To make it applicable to math, I could have students create posters that illustrate the importance or application of a mathematical concept. I think this idea could be used for a variety of academic subjects. You and your students can make your own by going to http://bighugelabs.com/motivator.php

I have learned that Wikis can provide an effective online collaboration platform. Wikis make it easier for people with common interests to share ideas and information on a specific topics or range of topics. I think wikis are a good way to allow students to team up upon any academic topic they are researching or studying. I could see the potential usefulness of creating a wiki containing the variety of mathematical topics they are studying and having students contribute to a wiki that describes the many different real world applications of these topics. Another idea I have is to have students research a specific mathematical topic and contribute to the actual Wikipedia entry for that topic. If I was to create my own wiki, I would create one that allowed people to ask and answer difficult questions about God, the meaning of life, and related philosophical and theological topics.

No comments:

Post a Comment