Tuesday, July 14, 2009

Thing #18 Podcasts


I've been listening to Podcasts through iTunes for a few years now. The ones I like the best are A New Beginning with Greg Laurie and Just Thinking with Ravi Zacharias. This is the first time I've searched for podcasts related to mathematics. After listening to several math-related podcasts, my favorite by far is Dan's Math Cast. The author, Daniel Bach, started this podcast in November of 2005 as a way to share his love of mathematics and help others to understand and appreciate mathematics. His podcasts contain a variety of components including reviewing topics in algebra and trigonometry, answering listeners' email questions, debunking mathematical myths, presenting challenging mathematical topics, and demonstrating how math applies in the real world. I plan to continue to listen to Dan's Math Cast and share it with my students who may be interested. Since many students in Generation Y love listening to their iPods or other mp3 players, perhaps they would be open to listening to educational and engaging podcasts such as this. I could have my students listening to this podcast and share what they found to be the most interesting, helpful, surprising, etc. With the vast number of Web 2.0 tools available to integrate into the classroom, I don't think creating my own podcast is a top priority.

No comments:

Post a Comment