Friday, July 10, 2009

Thing #16 Google Earth, Literature Stories, Google Sketchup


I watched the tutorial videos on Google SketchUp and learned the basics. The image above is the 3-dimensional basketball court I attempted to create. Perhaps I was a bit too ambitious for my first attempt at using SketchUp. It was both fun and frustrating as I became more comfortable using this program. I was able to create translucent windows and an pole and backboard on one side of the court, but I finally conceded when failing in my attempts to create the hoop. Sketchup has a lot of potential in the classroom to help students understand the concepts of volume, area, and a measurement through a highly creative and interactive medium. This is not to mention how fantastic a tool it would be for those students interested in architecture, construction, and design.

The LitTrip I took followed the voyage of Aeneas in the ancient classic, The Aenied, a book I read while taking Latin in high school. It was very interesting to follow the path of Aeneas' journey and see the locations of all the places and a few of the structures in the story. This is an excellent way for students to see how history and geography is connected with literature and hopeful more fully engage them in the books they read.

No comments:

Post a Comment