Sunday, July 5, 2009

Thing #13 eBooks and Online Books

I really believe that online books have the potential to replace traditional textbooks. Wikibooks has some good mathematical content that will hopefully continue to grow. If many math teachers contributed to the content of wikibooks, it would be a great resource for both teachers and students. It's also very exciting to see how easy it is to have a book published and distributed through sites like Create Space . If I ever get around to compiling my calculus book, I may try to publish it this way. The textbook publishers websites are adequate and at least for the meantime they allow students to view their textbooks online rather than having to haul them around. Google Scholar contains a vast database of academic reference material that can be useful to both teachers and students. Of all these ebook and online books, I think Wikibooks and Google Scholar currently have the most potential for helping students in high school mathematics classes. I could have students research mathematical topics with these online resources or have them seek supplemental assistance from Wikibooks and Google Scholar.

No comments:

Post a Comment